KIMBERLY (KIM) L. KING
• Skype :: kimgerly •
Citizenship: Oakland, California, USA • www.linkedin.com/in/kimgerly
- Renewable Energy Engineering | Sustainable Development | Systems Engineering | Technical Writing & Copy Editing | Systems Analysis | Web Architecture | Web Content Management
- Research, planning, scope, design, deployment, installation, operations & maintenance (O&M)
- Broad-based computer skills including hardware, web & software.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current research and trends being conducted in the field of renewable energy & sustainable development; nationally & internationally.
My generalist experience & responsibilities include:
- Defining project scope & goals with senior management, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) & stakeholders.
- Help design and achieve project plans, requirements, manage project team.
- Client relations, project planning & development.
- Review strategies, offer recommendations for achieving timely, project milestones & goals.
- Demonstrate leadership skills including decision-making, successful team management & meeting milestones.
- Out thinking the box.
- Strategizing & provoking the evaluation, development & implementation of innovative opportunities.
- Taking bold, decisive & definitive action to identify & reveal solutions to problems others don't realize.
- Identifying opportunities for developing & implementing everyday brilliance for disaster resilience.
- Agile at networking & building strategic alliances by utilizing conventional & unconventional creative approaches.
- Developing & working in collaborative teams.
- Composing concrete, concise, clear technical documentation.
Seeking projects and challenging opportunities as a renewable energy engineer.
SUMMARY OF SKILLS
Renewable energy and sustainability development
- Wind energy systems - Perform data acquisition, data validation and reporting. Develop a commercial application schema for installing small wind turbines in the built environment. Decommissioning a small wind turbine generator installed in the urban/built environment in 1981. Case Study here.
- Solar energy systems - Perform solar site assessments and analysis, photovoltaic (PV) design and installation. Compose multiple draft design proposals for installing PV arrays.
- Energy efficiency design - Define data control points, monitoring equipment, data visualization software selection for building energy and resource performance monitoring.
- Systems analysis - Evaluate, recommend, and install technologies, information design methods, analyze system deficiencies and implement solutions to improve workflow processes.
Technical writing and copy editing skills
- Compose, edit, standardize and revise documentation, including installation guides, tutorial guides, training manuals and proposals, in print and online formats.
- Organize, synthesize and gathering data from subject matter experts by observation, reviewing written materials, vendor documentation, regulation manuals and other relevant material sources.
- Explain, write and present complex subject matter and materials in an understandable fashion for end-users.
- Competencies include manipulating graphics and documentation layout.
Problem solving and collaboration skills
- Competent at directing the work of others and project management.
- Work with end-users, engineering, development, marketing, and QA groups to examine issues, develop strategic solutions, validate infrastructure, content and approach for improving processes and procedures.
- Effective troubleshooting and communication, critical thought, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Results-oriented professional with a quick grasp of new technologies.
- Able to produce materials conveying appropriate level of detail and results with minimal supervision.
Excellent computer skills - Web, Hardware, and Software
- Web: Skilled using HTML, XHTML, XML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), SEO optimization, FTP, Apache web server, Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver for marking-up and managing intranet and extranet web sites.
- Hardware Platforms: IBM Mainframe, Macintosh, PC-compatible, Sun SPARCstation
- Software: Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Connect, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, HOMER Energy, Macromedia RoboHelp, LabVIEW, Mathematica, Microsoft Office Suite for Windows and Macintosh, PVSYST, SEO optimization, SolidWorks, StatView, Stella, SunPath, WebEdit Pro, WindFarm, Windographer, WRPlot
- Operating Systems: Linux, MacOS 7.x/8.x/9.x/X, MS-DOS, UNIX (Solaris 7_Intel x86, Solaris 2.6, 2.7, Sun OS 5.7), Windows 95/98/NT 3.51 & 4.0/2000/XP/Vista/7
- Languages: C, PHP, SAS, UNIX Shell Scripts (awk, Bourne, Korn, sed)
- Databases: Access, FileMaker Pro, MySQL, Oracle 8.1.7, Vignette CMS
- File Systems, Utilities, Tools: DNS, FTP, NIS, NFS, TCP/IP, Modbus
Project Engineer :: 2006, 2007-Present
Ethane as a green(er) transportation fuel.
December 2013 - Present
Perform discovery for implementing CNG variation as a transportation fuel opportunity.
SB 43 SF East Bay Area Community RE Project(s)
November 2012 - January 2013
Perform discovery for implementing community hybrid RE projects on electrical distribution networks in underrepresented urban communities that include utility scale wind, solar, etc.
Wysinger Family, Berkeley, CA, USA
January - May 2013
Wysinger Family Decommission a freewheeling small wind turbine generator (WTG). Compose a guideline report to aid navigating/obtaining approval for decommissioning wind turbines in the built environment.
Silver Spring Networks | UH-HNEI | DoE Grid, Photovoltaic & Battery Smart Grid Inverter Project; part of the US DoE Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy SunShot Initiative, Redwood City, CA, USA
May - November 2012
Perform research and generate technical copy for a nascent smart grid communications protocol standard for embedding a high-penetration of residential PV inverters on existing electrical distribution networks.
St. Vincent de Paul Society of Alameda County, Oakland, CA, USA
November - December 2012
Renewable Energy Engineer/Consultant. Developing everyday brilliance for disaster resilience that includes back-up power emergency response options and contingencies for deployment during disaster relief events at two locations of the St. Vincent de Paul Society of Alameda County. This includes performing a wind resource study, energy efficiency optimization for meeting day-to-day power needs, and investigating alternative, agile and adaptable storage opportunities for uninterruptible power requirements during disaster relief events, as well as for robust, longer term sustainable needs. http://www.svdp-alameda.org/
Local Clean Energy Alliance, Oakland, CA, USA (Volunteer)
August 2009 - December 2013
Renewable Energy Researcher. Perform renewable energy policy research for the Local Clean Energy Alliance (LCEA) located in Oakland, California, USA. Investigating distributive/decentralized energy, energy/demand reduction, community choice alliance energy programs arenas. http://www.localcleanenergy.org/
Silvercrest, South Normanton, Derbyshire, UK (In-perpetuity Telecommuting Contract)
August 2009 - December 2012
Project Engineer. Conduct wind and hydrokinetic engineering research, provided analysis and compiled information for a consultancy specializing in energy conservation, maximising of resource efficiencies and system automation and integration. http://www.silvercrestec.com/
Yang Associates, Sunnyvale, CA, USA (In-perpetuity Telecommuting Contract)
January 2008 to September 2011
Project Engineer, Technical Writer, Web Consultant, Partner. Responsible for editing and writing web copy for global audiences, enhancing the navigability of the web site, performing search engine optimization and usability testing for Wattminder, an advanced, real-time photovoltaic system and utilities monitoring and intelligent diagnostics web site. http://www.wattminder.com/, http://www.pvmonitor.net/
Rumsey Engineers, Inc., Oakland, CA, USA
January to June 2006
Project Engineer at a mechanical engineering firm that specializes in high performance, environmentally sustainable and energy efficient heating, ventilating and air conditioning system designs. Assist in defining the data control points, monitoring equipment and data visualization software selection for energy and resource performance monitoring on the Carnegie Institution Global Ecology Center building. Conduct performance-based energy calculations and analysis for PG&E's Non-Residential Incentive Program with a focus on industrial buildings. Provide content updates and assisted with report and proposal generation. http://www.rumseyengineers.com
Technical Writer/Editor :: 2000-Present
Sustainable Solutions Unlimited, Portland, OR, USA
January to June 2010
Renewable Energy Engineer Consultant and Technical Writer responsible for editing request for proposal for the Solarize Portland Project. http://www.solutions21st.com/
Vesticon, Inc., Portland, OR, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
October to December 2007
Technical Writer responsible for composing a user's manual and installation guide for the Epley Omniax, a device used in the non-invasive diagnosis and treatment of the most complex and disabling positional vertigo disorders. http://www.vesticon.com
Chinook Wind, Everson, WA, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
September to October 2007
Technical Writer contributing copy to patent applications for the multi-disciplinary consulting firm specializing in wind energy applications. http://www.chinookwind.net
Phreesia.com, New York, NY, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
May to August 2007
Technical Writer for the makers of the easy-to-use, thin-client touch screen PhreesiaPad that improves the patient waiting room experience. http://www.phreesia.com/
Ion Global, San Francisco, CA, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
June to December 2006
Technical Writer for the Seagate Web Globalization Content Conversion Project Project for an e-business solution firm. (http://www.seagate.com) Edit and rewrite web copy for global audiences. Utilized Vignette CMS to manage version control of documentation. http://www.ionglobal.com
The Rahus Institute, Martinez, CA, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
October 2004 to January 2005
Publications Specialist for a 501c3 non-profit, research and educational organization with a focus on resource efficiency. Researched and drafted the document Installing Photovoltaics on California K-12 Schools. Research, compose, edit and develop documentation. http://www.rahus.org
MDL, Inc.,San Leandro, CA, USA (Contract)
April to August 2001
Senior Technical Communicator in the Server Products Documentation department for a scientific software company that is a leader in discovery informatics. Research, compose, edit and revise documentation, installation guides, user manuals and tutorial guides, including print and on-line web page views. Ensure quality of documentation for accuracy, completeness, and adherence to quality assurance test standards. Create Oracle database test files. Utilized RoboHelp for marking up online help content. http://www.mdli.com/
Siebel Systems, Inc., Emeryville, CA, USA (Contract)
December 2000 to March 2001
Coordinator, Documentation Quality for the leading supplier of software for information management database technology and applications. Compose, edit, rewrite and revise documentation, installation guides, tutorial guides and user manuals. Ensure quality of documentation for accuracy, completeness, and adherence to adherence to quality assurance test standards. Made recommendations for streamlining documentation work flow process. http://www.oracle.com/siebel/index.html
Web Architect :: 2002-Present
Provide front-end and back-end technical assistance in the development, implementation, construction of the navigation, content mark-up, layout, style and graphics using Macromedia Flash, Adobe GoLive, Photoshop and Illustrator. Managed sound files. Utilized MySQL and PHP scripts for database management. Performed usability testing and search engine optimization. Other clients: Advanced Therapeutic Bodyworks, Deep Water Research, Middle Eastern & North African Perspectives, Nancy Nadel, Sutton Solar
O2 Systems, Inc, Houston, TX, USA (In-perpetuity Telecommuting Contract)
December 2006, November 2009 to August 2010
Web Architect for experts in engineering design, surface and underwater life support systems. http://www.o2sysinc.com
The Rahus Institute, Martinez, CA, USA (Telecommuting Contract)
October 2004 to January 2005
Web Architect for a 501c3 non-profit, research and educational organization with a focus on resource efficiency. http://www.rahus.org
Resource Renewal Institute, San Francisco, CA, USA (Intern)
May to December 2002
Web Architect at a 501c3 non-profit incubators of transformational ideas designed to challenge and change the piecemeal way our resources are currently managed and protected. http://www.rri.org
Beatsforsale.com, Oakland, CA, USA
June 1997 to Present
Web Architect for an online music beats and publishing web site. Provided front-end and back-end technical assistance in the development, implementation, construction of the navigation, content mark-up, layout, style and graphics using Macromedia Flash, Adobe GoLive, Photoshop and Illustrator. Manage sound files. Utilize MySQL and PHP scripts for database management. Performed usability testing and optimization. http://www.beatsforsale.com
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator/Computer Programmer :: 1994-2000
Provide 24x7 support for all production web servers in a heterogeneous platformed environment. Isolated and solved server side problems. Design, developed and updated company IT/IS intranet including composing and marking-up technical and training documentation. Provide technical support to local, national and international staff. Performed automated and manual network backups of servers and workstations. Provided telephone and written technical support. Performed tests and analyzed test files. Assiste in data report preparation and special programming projects. Automate programs using interactive Bourne Shell, Korn Shell, sed and awk scripts.
Preview Travel, Inc./Travelocity.com, San Francisco, CA, USA
November 1999 to June 2000
Senior Systems Administrator, MIS Manager, Intranet Administrator at a premier online travel booking web site. http://www.travelocity.com/
Abacus Concepts, Inc., Berkeley, CA, USA
January to September 1997
Technical Support Representative for a statistical-analysis software company.
Forte Software, Oakland, CA, USA
April 1996 to November 1996 & September 1998 to April 1999
UNIX Systems Administrator, Intranet Administrator at the market leader in the development and integration of scalable enterprise-class distributed applications. Primarily responsible for the operation of the Corporate Help Desk.
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
April 1994 to February 1996
Statistical/Research Programmer II for the Collaborative Ocular Melanoma Study international cancer clinical trial. http://www.jhu.edu/wctb/coms/
PG Dipl (MSc non-thesis) Renewable Energy Systems Technology Engineering Loughborough University, United Kingdom
Solar PV characterization and performance of mono-Si and poly-Si solar cells.
PV system design of an engineering building façade using PVSYST.
Compact oscillating water column (OWC) calibration, flow duration curve (FDC) and discharge of a v-notched weir evaluation.
Operational performance of anaerobic digestion (AD) potential of fertilizer and methane in wastewater.
Sustainable development and environmental management scenarios for long-term security of energy supply for the ECOWAS.
Wind farm design, power curve and coefficient of power curve determination for a 25kW wind turbine.
Load flow analysis embedding wind turbine generators on an existing electrical distribution network.
Small wind turbines sited on high-rise buildings in the built environment in the UK Midlands.
Dates of attendance :: September 2008 - June 2010
Completed graduate coursework at the Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology (CREST). Specialization in hybrid renewable energy systems. Researched and generated reports on the following:
Loughborough Employer Mentoring Schemes Pilot Programme participant - Intern at BlueNG.com
Georgia State University, cross-enrolled Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
Date of graduation :: March 1993
General mathematics and engineering coursework in engineering graphics, statics, materials engineering, discrete event systems simulation, statistical mathematics, differential equations, linear algebra and boundary value problems.
CONTINUING EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Laney College in Industrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology, Oakland, CA, USA
Dates of attendance :: January 2014 - Present
Continuing Education. Hands-on training in machining (drill press, mill, lathe), welding (GMAW/MIG, GTAW/TIG, MMA/Stick, Oxyacetylene, Brazing), soldering, electricity, hydraulics, OSHA safety and blueprint reading.
Graduate Coursework in Sustainability Development/Energy and Resources
Universiteit Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dates of attendance :: August - December 2005
Sustainability Development coursework in integrated systems approach to sustainability development, energy analysis, and energy and resources policies.
Graduate Coursework in Mechanical Engineering and Sustainability Development
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Dates of attendance :: 2001, 2002, 2005
Mechanical Engineering and Sustainability Development coursework in thermodynamics, quantitative aspects of global environmental problems, and environmental law and regulation.
Coursework in Engineering Technology
Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
Dates of attendance :: April - May 2005
Photovoltaic and Design and Installation coursework.
Graduate coursework in Environmental Engineering
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Dates of attendance :: 1994 - 1995
Environmental Engineering coursework in statistical design of experiments, risk analysis, hazardous waste management and solid waste management.
International Solar Energy Society (ISES)
Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
To research and engineer hybrid renewable energy power microgrid systems. Make contributions to hybrid renewable distributive energy power systems, and in the development of the distribution of renewable energy via the World Wide Energy Web. Engineer renewable energy efficiency designs.
©2007-2014 :: kimgerly.com :: all rights reserved.
Back to Kimberly's Kingdom